Friday, December 18, 2009

How remove epoxy adhesive? and wich one is the best for a oil crank cover?

ok, I have a problem I have been dealing with a crack in the oil crank of my car and I fixed with epoxy adhesive, but the epoxy cracked (it worked for 3 years!!!) but I forgot wich one I used that time, so if you recomend one that would be great!! also, by the way, does someone knows how to remove the epoxy (cracked one)? I tried but it kind of hard! and I don't want to put the new one over the old one.





Note: I would love to change the oil crank but it is almost impossible I have to disconect and lift the whole motor of the car to be able to do that!!!





Thanks a lot.How remove epoxy adhesive? and wich one is the best for a oil crank cover?
Use a small grinder to get the old stuff off, or a hammer and chisel, but be careful. I don't know of any solvent that gets it off.


As for as what to use, There's a lot of choices, I had the same problem, I used JB Weld first, it worked until I hit something with the oil pan again. I used Water weld the second time its still working, water weld can be put on in wet places and under water, its a unique compound. I think JB weld is good , but takes along to harden, Water weld hardens in few minutes fully cured in 20 minutes.How remove epoxy adhesive? and wich one is the best for a oil crank cover?
oil crank? all I can guess is that you mean oil pan/crank case- if so, then I'd recommend J.B. Weld for the epoxy, a Dremel Mototool for the old stuff removal, and replacing the oil pan for a permanent repair.
A heat gun will soften epoxy, to remove it.





there is a red sealant that is high temp, that will seal better than epoxy





good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment