Friday, December 18, 2009

I have a 2001 Corolla and I believe it starts to burned oil?

It has a 150,000 miles on it. I have to add half quart every two weeks and it runs 400 miles a week. What is the best way to deal with it. I am worrying that it might need a ring job just to stop it from burning oil or thinking on selling the car.I have a 2001 Corolla and I believe it starts to burned oil?
1600 miles per quart isn't all that bad. A rebuild is expensive. Since it's not too serious, you have time to save for a new car.I have a 2001 Corolla and I believe it starts to burned oil?
actually if you can't afford a $800--$1000.00 repair you can continue to monitor your oil consumption (the oil usage will gradually get worse) but with the price of oil you are throwing your money out the window instead of saving for the repair. Usually, your oil problem is from worn valve guides %26amp; seals which are located in the cylinder head (I am assuming it has a 4 cylinder engine) At this time I would definetly replace the timing belt (no extra labor, just the $$$ of parts ) if it has not been done in the past 10,000 miles...Without seeing the condition of the car its hard to tell from here if the car is worth the repair.......but what kind of car can you purchase for this repair cost???
I agree use weight 30 oil,,,,,it is more denser than the usual oil which means less oil would enter the combustion chamber
For the age of your vehicle, that's not an inordinate amount of oil consumption. Switching to a heavier grade lubricant (e.g., SAE 30 vs. 10W30) will reduce the oil consumption, but it will also increase the engine wear upon startup, which is where a majority of that wear occurs. If you live in a cold climate, the startup issue will be exacerbated.





I'd just keep adding oil and perform regular oil changes. Heck, my first vehicle (a 1954 Cadillac hearse) got 50 miles to the quart, and I took it from school in Boston to home in Illinois and out to Nebraska and back without a hitch (but I think I lost a number of tailgaters in the smog). And it was still running fine when I sold it.
to find bad rings a cylinder leak test needs to be done. that requires special tools. simple check if it has it. check the pvc valve on the valve cover make sure its not blocked causing unnecessary pressure in the crank case. the only repair for oil burn form a weak cylinder is engine rebuild or replacement. also when you first start the car does it have a lot of blue smoke out the exhaust. that's a sign of bad valve seals. that's not to bad to fix. 16 yrs ASE cert. retired
here is what to do, have the oil changed and use only 30 weight oil, and a whole quart of lucas oil stabilizer, it costs about 13 bucks for a bottle but is well worth it, i have a great deal of respect for all lucas products, the fuel system cleaner is very good also, this will stop the smoking as you go down the street, and you will notice the power too , ( after the oil gets mixed well with the lucas oil stabilizer

No comments:

Post a Comment